Monday, April 19, 2010

Mo'Nique's brother admits to abuse on Oprah; Why its hard to admit fault?

Mo'Nique has been very open about the abuse she suffered by her brother.  Gerald Imes claimed that her suffered abuse which led him to drugs and then to abuse his sister.

"I'm here today to acknowledge that I've been in denial for over 30 years," he said at the top of the show. "I just want to say I'm sorry."

"I started using cocaine, alcohol, heroin, at age 11," he said. He was 13 when he first molested her. She was seven.
The abuse lasted until she was 11. Afterward, he says, "I did the drugs to hide my own pain, to hide my own fear ... I abused and betrayed the trust of my sibling."

The family, who was also in the audience, said they kicked Gerald Imes out when Mo'Nique, then 15, told them about the abuse by her brother but let him back in the next month.  Later, Gerald was sentenced to 12 years in prison for abusing somebody else.

The family said they were hurt when Mo'Nique first came out with her story, "I was hurt," her mother said. "This is something that should have probably been discussed first within the family."


Gerald said he decided to come forward to help heal their family. "By coming fourth today, somewhere along the line, after 37 years, somewhere, somehow, as siblings we can come back together and say I'm sorry. I'm doing this to apologize, to hopefully bring back some family unity -- my sister, myself, mom, dad, our brothers and sisters -- let's bring our family back together."

We all have done wrong things in our life and none of us are saints.  Admitting to wrongdoings is the first step in healing for all parties.  It is okay to admit that you were wrong.  Some of us get so caught up in our pride or pity, that it is hard for us to admit transgressions against other people.  Once we let down that wall and show our vulnerability, we can then being to pick up the pieces of whatever is left in move on.   Self-love is admitting your mistakes and allowing yourself to be free of burden and heartache.

Source 

No comments:

Post a Comment