Friday, April 9, 2010

Ask Fame & Change: Children vs Messages in Pop Music



Below we have a letter from one of our readers. We will do this every Friday and try to answer your questions.

Dear Fame & Change

I have two children ages 4 & 7. They are at impressionable ages. They love music, but it is getting harder and harder for me to screen their music. They love Lady Gaga and beyonce and their music, but I cannot let them watch their videos. I think their graphics and images are not suitable for kids their age. However, I am having a harder time screening these images because I am not always around due to work so i cannot screen everything. What am I to do and how do I explain to my children why they can't view this material?

Concerned Parent, Jessica


Thanks for the letter Jessica and thanks for viewing our website. In answering your question, there are a lot of images in music that aren't necessarily suitable for children, and you can shield your child away from most images, but when they are old enough to discuss images in the media and why they are not appropriate for children their age then you should do that. They WILL run into these situations and you want to address these images and messages sooner rather than later. A lot of these artists do not make music for children, no matter how catchy it sounds. We HAVE to remember that. You can't let you and your children fall into the hype just because the song is catchy or the album sold well. Explaining it to them and allowing an open discussion about these images are probably your best bet.

This website has good information on discussing difficult topics with your children.


Have your questions answered every Friday: email fameandchange@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment